Be a part of the team as we take Northwest teens on the adventure of their life!
What are Summer Staff?
Each summer YD Adventures hires a select number of talented young adults from all over the world to lead adventure trips for teens in Washington, Idaho and Oregon. The Summer Staff ministry team is an integral part of YD Adventures, which is committed to reaching today’s youth through dynamic relationships and challenging experiences.
YD Adventures uses powerful adventure-based ministry to share Christ with teens and deepen their understanding of God. We challenge teens by taking them to the edge: dropping them into a rappel or rafting them through Class III and IV rapids. By experiencing these incredible challenges in God’s creation, teens are able to “unplug” from their day–to–day lives and experience God in ways they never have before.
As a member of the Summer Staff team, you could guide teens on a variety of wilderness activities, including: whitewater rafting, rock climbing, backpacking, challenge courses, horseback riding, kayaking, and more. You will work alongside the YDA Staff to design the ministry program for each trip and assist in the preparations and logistical operations of the trips. As you serve others, you will also be challenged in your own faith as you work in Christian service with a team of believers and experience your own “edge” moments.
Staffing opportunities are available at each of our three Adventure Bases (Idaho, Oregon, and Stonewater Ranch in Washington). Each base has a unique focus of ministry, united by the same heart to share Christ with teens. If you connect with the heart of YD’s ministry, please submit the application (blue button on this page) and we’ll contact you. To learn more, contact one of our staffing managers:
YD Adventures Idaho
YD Adventures Oregon
Stonewater Ranch (Washington)
Requirements for Summer Staff
- A passion for sharing about Jesus Christ with teens.
- A teachable spirit.
- A desire to invest in relationships.
- A love for the outdoors.
- Attendance at all trainings. (beginning mid-to-late May)
- A full summer commitment.
- Training runs mid-May through June (exact dates vary by Adventure base)
- Trips run through the end of August or early September (exact dates vary by Adventure base; early release can be arranged for those in school)
- A current Wilderness First Aid/CPR certification – Idaho (This certification available during summer staff training at Oregon and Washington only.)
- Willingness and ability to personally raise support for tuition and boarding costs prior to the start of the summer (support-raising materials and training provided):
- Idaho: $500 if you are in staff housing (waived if you stay with a host family)
- Oregon: no charge for 2019.
- Washington: $1,500 for your first summer and $1,200 for your second summer
- Stipend: varies, earned through personal support raising (raising a stipend is optional). Talk to one of our Staffing Managers for details!
Possible Training Fields
- Rock climbing assistance
- Whitewater rafting guiding
- Backcountry guiding
- Challenge course facilitation
- Support staffing (ie: logistics, food and equipment preparation)
- Trip programming
- Horse wrangling (only at Stonewater Ranch, WA)
What we offer you
- An opportunity to work with a community of summer staff from around the world.
- An ability to impact God’s kingdom by sharing Christ with teens.
- Training and opportunities to minister to youth.
- Training and opportunities to minister in God’s creation.
- Development of your ability to lead and facilitate a group.
- Development of your technical skills as a guide and facilitator.
- Development of your ability to create a ministry program for a trip.
- The option to earn a stipend through personal support raising. (Stipends are in addition to the required amount of support raised for boarding/tuition.)
- Idaho: Housing with a host family or staff housing, depending on each year’s needs.
- Oregon: Housing with a host family.
- Washington: Housing in the Lodge at our base, Stonewater Ranch, with a community of other summer staff.